Risk & Tax Controller
Microsoft Finance purpose
Global Sales Marketing and Operations (GSMO) Finance is driving shareholder value in 60 subsidiaries and carries the local accountability for the financials as well as statutory and compliance matters across all segments and products. We:
- Land the company vision around the transformation of our business, consumption and customer orientation in the subsidiaries and externally.
- Drive strategic resource allocation and investments through local insights, ensuring optimal returns aligned with our worldwide strategy.
- Build trust to lay the foundation of long-term growth from a customer and shareholder point of view in a compliant way.
- Empower and inspire our people to lead and be part of top performing teams while providing diverse career opportunities.
Reporting to the Finance Director, Risk & Tax Controller is responsible for timely and accurate completion of all statutory and tax filings, including the local statutory financial statements. The role involves working with business stakeholders on various cross-organiation projects, working with external auditors and being responsible for relation with tax authorities. In addition, Controller will be responsible for monitoring Compliance function: build, deploy, and sustain a fully optimized world class compliance program recognized for effectively identifying and mitigating Microsoft’s risks.
Culture & Behavior
You have a growth mindset, act as an entrepreneur that drives business impact, and continuously learn and innovate. You have a capability to actively contribute and build strong collaboration within diverse and virtual teams. You are action oriented and able to build and deliver strong results through others beyond the team as well. You simplify and inspire through storytelling and excellent communication skills.
Microsoft values and ethical behavior are a corner stone in our culture.
Statutory & Tax
- Accountable for accurate stat records and timely annual financial statements in compliance with local statutory and tax regulation. Accountable for accurate and timely tax filings, including indirect taxes. Monitor, review, and oversee the Stat & Tax work of One Finance.
- Manage external auditor relationship.
- Support audits from local tax authorities or other government agencies.
- Land global and country-driven projects, with proper financial support ensuring compliance with local accounting, tax regulations as well as MS global processes.
- Identify all non-standard management transactions (e.g. cross-charges, accruals, commission changes) and review their statutory implications before any decision to proceed
- Communicate to the Corp Tax team any important changes in local tax legislation that could affect the MS business model (e.g. changes in local transfer pricing legislation) ·
- Responsible to maintain local transfer pricing file in line with local legislation and in collaboration with Corp tax.
- Supervise Compliance function - support business in implementing the Compliance framework, drive execution of Compliance Training Plan in the organization, Conduct risk assessments, monitor internal control risks and update existing controls and processes to respond to these risks,
- Proactively collaborate with key partners to early flag and escalate any risks and issue
Key indicators of success
- Meet local tax and statutory filing requirement – no delayed filings
- Successful statutory audit (where applicable)
- Proactively collaborate with key partners to early flag and escalate risks and issues
- 8-10 years active experience in large / multinational companies in similar role
- Strong tax knowledge (including indirect tax, transfer pricing)
- Proven track record in dealing with tax authorities
- Experience in compliance / audit